Applying Decades Of Experience To Solve Modern Legal Issues

Reporting Medical Malpractice in Council Bluffs, IA

On Behalf of | Mar 29, 2019 | Medical Malpractice

Medical malpractice injuries are among the most serious types of bodily harm a victim can suffer, especially considering the amount of trust you place with health care providers. Understandably, one of your initial reactions will be reporting medical malpractice to appropriate authorities in Council Bluffs, IA. There are multiple agencies that you should notify, usually through filing a complaint, requesting an investigation, or other actions.

However, it is also important to address your own personal needs. You may sustain considerable losses, in addition to the physical pain. A Council Bluffs medical malpractice attorney can discuss the details and explain your legal options as a victim. In the meantime, there are three key organizations that you should contact to report medical malpractice.

  • Iowa Board of Medicine: Every state has a governmental body that oversees licensing for physicians and other providers. The Iowa Board of Medicine is your primary resource for reporting medical malpractice, and you can file a complaint online. Officials will conduct an investigation to determine whether there is reason to engage in disciplinary action.
  • Beneficiary and Family Centered Care Quality Improvement Organization (BFCC-QIO): If your complaint regarding medical malpractice stems from care from a Medicare provider, you should contact the local BFCC-QIO to file a complaint.
  • Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals: For complaints regarding conditions at a hospital, clinic, nursing home, or related facilities, you can contact the Health Facilities Division. Survey teams can arrive unannounced to investigate the provider, and may issue disciplinary measures for violations of state and federal law.

Additional Legal Remedies are Available

Though reporting medical malpractice goes a long way to preventing additional misconduct by a provider, you must also take your own losses into account. Iowa law allows you to recover compensation for your injuries, if you can show that a treating physician or health care facility deviated from established standards in providing care. You may be entitled to receive monetary damages for your losses, including:

  • The costs of current and future medical care that is necessary to treat your injuries;
  • Lost wages, if you cannot work because of your injuries;
  • Pain and suffering;
  • Mental anguish
  • Impairment
  • Losses based upon your personal relationships with your spouse, family, and other loved ones; and
  • Other potential damages depending on your case.

Still, you should note that medical malpractice cases are very complex. It is usually necessary to work with medical experts to explain why your provider’s actions amount to misconduct. Skilled medical malpractice lawyers work closely with these professionals to firmly establish your right to compensation.

Discuss Your Claim with an Experienced Medical Malpractice Attorney

If you or a loved one suffered injuries because of a medical error, please contact Telpner Peterson Law Firm, LLP. You can call our Council Bluffs, IA office by calling 712-309-3738 or visiting us online. We can set up a free consultation to review your circumstances and tell you more about your legal remedies. Our medical malpractice lawyers serve clients in southwest Iowa and eastern Nebraska, and we look forward to working with you.