If you or a loved one are suffering from depression because of a particularly stressful or traumatic work environment or as the result of a work related, physical injury in Council Bluffs workers compensation benefits may be available. The workers compensation system recognizes that work related injuries are not just physical resulting in a traumatic injury like a broken bone or an occupational disease like silicosis.
Workers Compensation Is Available for Work Related Injuries, Diseases and Conditions
Iowa’s Workers’ Compensation Act provides certain benefits to employees who are injured, suffer occupational disease or occupational hearing loss which arise out of and during the course of their employment. Benefits are payable regardless of which party was at fault.
- The law requires most employers to provide wage loss and medical benefits to employees who are injured on the job.
- An injury may include any health condition caused by work activities other than the normal building up and tearing down of body tissues.
- Most employees who are injured in Iowa, working under contract of hire made in Iowa, or whose employment is principally in Iowa, would be eligible for benefits.
- The law provides for the payment of all reasonable and necessary medical care incurred to treat the injury.
Work Related Depression May be Compensable
Clinical depression can arise as a result of working conditions or due to work related injuries or occupational diseases.
- A worker left paralyzed due to a work related vehicle accident may suffer from depression because of the severe impact of the injury on the person’s life. This can include the drastic change in the person’s ability to work and live his or her life, including financial problems that can arise out of a catastrophic injury.
- If a worker is an exceptionally stressful or traumatic situation it can lead to work-related depression. First responders who work daily under high levels of stress in life or death situations can suffer from depression. A worker constantly harassed and bullied by management and/or co-workers could also feel clinically depressed.
A worker would need to establish more than the depression was caused by the employment. The fact it was caused by workplace stress that’s of a greater magnitude than what’s experienced by others employed in the same or similar jobs, no matter their employer, would also need to be proved. As a practical matter it can be very difficult to succeed with a work-related depression claim without showing a related physical injury.
Contacting a Lawyer
If you are feeling seriously depressed, seek professional help. If you believe it’s related to your job or a work related injury, we may be able to help you obtain treatment and compensation. The Telpner Peterson Law Firm, in Council Bluffs, Iowa, represents employees who have suffered severe workplace depression in Iowa or Nebraska. Our principle workers compensation attorney, Walter Thomas, may be able to help you get the maximum benefits under law.
To discuss your case, learn the potential compensation from your claim, and learn the options to obtain workers’ compensation benefits, schedule a complimentary consultation with our Council Bluffs office. Simply call 712-309-3738 or contact Telpner Peterson Law Firm online.