Telpner Peterson Law Firm, llp
Call Us Today
ph: 712-325-9000

A Team Approach
To Satisfying Clients'
Multifaceted Legal Needs

Council Bluffs Law Blog

Damages: What's the Value of My Personal Injury Case?

After sustaining an injury, there are many obstacles to overcome during the road to recovery. Specifically, an accident victim will have doctor appointments, medical bills, unanticipated missed work, and adjustments to daily living activities. Moreover, dealing with the aftermath of injuries can also contribute to depression. If the injury was caused by a negligent individual or business, then the injured party has to make a decision whether or not to pursue a claim for damages.

Proper Steps to Follow After the Inevitable Automobile Accident

Whether commuting to and from work or dropping off children at practice, the typical American motorist drives approximately 30 miles per day, making two trips with an average total duration of 46 minutes. (AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety and the Urban Institute). Nobody anticipates getting into an automobile accident, but the reality is that most motorists will experience some type of car accident sooner or later. The best mindset for motorists is to expect the unexpected. Accordingly, motorists should be prepared how to properly react in case of an automobile accident.


Many workers' compensation claims get denied on the grounds that people had a past medical condition. Don't be fooled or just take no for an answer. If you have injured a part of your body for which you received past medical treatment, therapy, or even surgery, you are still entitled to compensation if your work has made this past condition worse. It is common that repetitive bending, twisting, and lifting will make a bad back much more painful. Insurance companies will often also argue that your activities outside of work are a contributing cause. While that may be true, work is also frequently a contributing cause to increased symptoms. Under Iowa law, your work does not need to be the major factor leading to your injury or symptoms, as long as it is a factor. You may have injured your back several years ago, had surgery, and returned to work, only to reinjure the same part of your back. If so, you are entitled to worker's compensation. You may have long-standing arthritis in your knees, and received previous treatment for the condition. Nevertheless, you are still entitled to compensation if you sustained a new injury due to your work. Past injuries can be made worse over time due to workplace activities. If you have had your claim denied because you have a past medical condition, contact Walt Thomas at Telpner Peterson Law Firm, LLP at (712) 325-9000 to assist you in obtaining the compensation to which you are entitled.

Taxability of Alimony..."Do I have to pay tax on my alimony"?

In many divorce cases, alimony (which is also sometimes called "spousal support") is awarded. The concept of alimony is to award money from one spouse to the another during the pendency of the proceedings pursuant to an order of the court or after the entry of the Decree. Alimony has to be court ordered to be tax deductible.


Chapter 12 bankruptcies are designed for family farmers with regular annual income. It enables financially distressed family farmers to propose and carry out a plan to repay all or part of their debts. In Chapter 12 farm bankruptcies, farmers propose a repayment plan to make installment payments to creditors over three to five years. Generally, the plan must provide for payments over three years unless the court approves a longer period.

Medical Liens Affecting Personal Injury Settlements

Dealing with the aftermath of an automobile accident can be an exhausting endeavor. Besides making arrangements to repair or replace your vehicle, you must deal with both the at-fault driver's insurance company and your insurance company, schedule and attend medical appointments to assess potential injuries, and possibly consult with an attorney to protect your legal interests.

Divorce and your Taxes - Tax Filing Status: "How to file taxes in your divorce"?

The question frequently arises this time of year when a couple is going through a divorce..."How do we file our taxes this year"? It is important to know that for two individuals to file a joint return, they must have been married on December 31 of the year for which the return will be filed. If the parties are divorced before December 31, they are no longer considered married and cannot file a joint return. Most are aware that married filing joint is one of the most financially beneficial tax rates and will often reduce overall tax liability. However, sometimes the couple cannot agree on the issue to file jointly and elect to file separate returns. It is imperative that you discuss this matter fully with your attorney and your financial advisor before deciding which course to pursue.

let us know how we can help

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

office location

Telpner Peterson Law Firm, LLP
25 Main Place, Suite 200
Council Bluffs, IA 51503

Phone: 712-325-9000
Fax: 712-328-1946
Map & Directions

Facebook Linkedin Google-plus